Are you tired of snags or unnecessary wear and tear on your delicate items like lingerie and cashmere sweaters?
Mesh laundry bags offer your favorite delicate garments protection in the washer and dryer, thus resulting in longer-lasting clothes – a win for your wardrobe and a win for sustainability!
As an environmentally friendly bonus, mesh laundry bags can reduce microplastics in the water that would otherwise be leached when washing synthetic blend clothes. Mesh laundry bags can actually collect some of the synthetic fibers that might otherwise end up in our water system [Source: CNN].
I have been using mesh laundry bags for years to protect my delicate items. Through trial and error, I’ve learned that there are three key factors to look at when considering a mesh laundry bag: the quality of the mesh, type of closure, and shape/form.
Here are my favorite mesh laundry bags.
Shop My Favorite Mesh Laundry Bags
- Best Overall: Durable Honeycomb Mesh Laundry Bags
- Best Splurge: Coyuchi Organic Cotton Mesh Laundry Bag
- Best for Bras: Bagail Laundry Bag for Intimates
- Best for Shoes: Kimmama Shoes Wash Bag
- Best for Tights and Stockings: TENRAI Delicates Laundry Bag
- Best Bundle: GOGOODA Set of 7 Mesh Laundry Bags
- Best Eco-friendly: Guppyfriend
Best Mesh Laundry Bags
Best Overall: Durable Honeycomb Mesh Laundry Bags
- This heavy duty Honeycomb mesh laundry bag is specially designed to wash delicate clothes without wear and tear in washing machines and dryers.
- With our breathable mesh construction, you’ll have a thoroughly clean wash in the washing machine and evenly dry process in the dryer.
- Medium and extra strong: our 12″ x 16″ (30 x 40 cm) laundry bag made of a high-quality durable material (120g honey comb mesh) for a long-lasting usage.
Durable Honeycomb Mesh Laundry Bags are my top choice because the heavy-duty honeycomb mesh is breathable yet knit tightly enough to prevent any delicate embellishments from getting caught in a hole.
This set comes with three equally sized bags. That means in a single load, you can protect three delicate sweaters or dedicate one bag to bras and another to other delicate garments.
Washing a variety of items at a single time helps to save you time and minimizes water use.
Customers rave about these laundry bags. At the time of publishing, this set has over 20k 5-star reviews!
- Designed to wash delicates without wear and tear in washing machines and dryers
- High-quality 120g honeycomb mesh provides premium durability
- Anti-rust zipper
- Not specialized for shoes or bras
Best Splurge: Coyuchi Organic Cotton Mesh Laundry Bag
If you’re looking for an organic, natural option, then you should consider the Coyuchi Organic Cotton Mesh Laundry Bag. This laundry bag is sold in two sizes: medium and large.
The large version of the bag is perfect for washing embellished shams and throw pillow covers.
The medium-sized mesh bag is perfect for washing smaller, delicate garments and undergarments.
What makes these mesh laundry bags extra special is their material. Most mesh bags are made from synthetic, plastic-based materials. These laundry bags are made from 100% cotton grown and woven in India.
These bags are GOTS-certified, which means you can feel good about this purchase each time you use them in your laundry routine.
- Made from 100% organic cotton grown + woven in India
- GOTS certified
- Available in multiple sizes
- Safe for use in the washer and dryer
Best for Bras: Bagail Laundry Bag for Intimates
- Items Included:This set of Laundry Bags includes 2 Large Size Cylindrical Bra Wash Bags(7″X7″) and 2 Regular size Cylindrical Bra Wash Bags which cater to washing most of your underwears,socks and…
- High Quality and Durable:This Set of wash bags are made of high quality sandwich fabric which is featured with water permeability and fine filtration and cleansing performance. Wear-resistant fabric…
- See-Through and Breathable: Larger mesh holes not only mean washing and drying clothes more quickly,but also means more ventilated if you need it for storage purpose.
With over 70K Amazon reviews, the Bagail Laundry bag for Intimates is a fan favorite. It has a unique cylindrical design intended to be used by bras, though it can be used for other small delicates such as underwear and socks.
One reviewer notes, “I love these bags! They are perfect for so many uses. Great for doing delicate laundry. I throw them into the washer and dryer, and they look brand new every time after washing. No snags or rips. The material is strong and sturdy. I like that the zipper is hidden so it doesn’t get caught onto anything.”
The cylindrical shape does add an extra layer of protection for delicate items as they are agitated in a wash cycle.
Lastly, these bags are multi-purpose – they can double as cylindrical packing cubes when traveling! They allow your clothing to breathe while you keep intimates organized within your suitcase.
- Designed specifically for bras
- Soft, breathable mesh
- The zipper cover ensures extra protection for other garments in the wash cycle
- Can double as a “packing cube” for intimates when traveling
- Not suitable for larger items
Best for Shoes: Kimmama Shoes Wash Bag
- 【2 pcs set】7 x 15 inches, suitable for 8 to 13 yards shoe, You can put sneakers,slippers in shoe washing bag and wash them in the washing machine. this wash bag is perfect as a bra laundry bag…
- 【125g Mesh Fabric】Our shoe washer bag is durable and reusable. we use upgard 125g honeycomb mesh fabric with composite structure(big mesh and small mesh),soap and water can flow easily through the…
- 【Auto-Lock Zippered】Our washing machine havea zipper cover design. This sneaker laundry bag has a high quality zipper with a cover,and the auto-locked zipper can prevent shoe laundry wash bag…
If you are searching for a mesh laundry bag to wash your shoes in the washer and dryer, the Kimmama Shoes Wash Bag is a great option. The 125g honeycomb mesh is durable and allows soap and water to easily flow through the mesh.
The durable double layer of mesh makes these laundry bags perfect for protecting shoes in the washing machine.
What makes these mesh bags perfect for shoes is the shape. Each cylindrical bag is the perfect size for a pair of sneakers. Simply zip your washable shoes inside of the bag and wash them in your machine.
These bags are sold in a variety of shapes and sizes. Some are large enough to safely wash garments, like suit jackets, in the washing machine.
Lastly, Kimmama shoe bags can also be used while packing a suitcase to separate shoes from clothing.
- Mesh bags designed for washing shoes
- Can also be used for packing and organizing shoes in a suitcase
- Durable, double layer of mesh
- Available in a variety of shapes and sizes
- Not suitable for other items (need to purchase their standard laundry bags for washing other delicate garments)
Best for Tights and Stockings: TENRAI Delicates Laundry Bag
- USE YKK ZIPPER– The best zipper brand available, rust–resistant, smooth, snag free and reliable!
- LONG LASTING- Our strong wash bags are made from stain, stretch and tear resistant material — 100% polyester. The outer edges of the bag are fully sewed for 9 times strength suture.
- MUCH MORE SUITABLE FOR CLEANING DELICATES– Micro-mesh system makes friction more suitable for fine clothing. The special rounded corners design makes dirt and batt not accumulate in the bag.
Tights and stockings require a smaller bag so that they are secure within the bag. The last thing you want is to wash your favorite tights only to discover snags or runs after the wash cycle ends.
The TENRAI Delicates Laundry bag includes a set of 3 bags so you can wash multiple small, delicate items at once.
I also love the hanger loop design on each bag. It makes it easy to hang these mesh bags up in between uses to dry and stay organized.
While these mesh bags are designed for small items like tights, they can also be used to wash small, plastic kids’ toys as well. Simply contain the small toys in one bag and wash them on the top rack of your dishwasher.
- The small size is perfect for protecting tights in the wash
- Features a hanger loop design for easy drying and storage
- Rust-resistant zipper
- Not suitable for larger items
- The polyester material is not eco-friendly
Best Bundle: GOGOODA Set of 7 Mesh Laundry Bags
- Protect and Organize: Mesh bags protect your garments from tangling, snagging, or pulling while also minimizing the chance of colors bleeding into each other. Great for organizing your clothes when…
- With unique breathable mesh, your clothes will have a thorough clean wash in the washer and evenly dry in the dryer. Greatly simplify your laundry process.
- Great laundry set combination: You will receive 7 pack laundry bags(5 square in 3 size and 2 round ) for all your laundry need from lingerie, bras, shirts, shoes to large garments and etc. The round…
If you’re wavering on which style of laundry bag is best for you, consider this multi-pack bundle. The GOGOODA Set of 7 Mesh Laundry Bags includes mesh bags in various shapes and sizes to suit nearly every use case you can think of.
This set includes mesh laundry bags that will allow you to wash your legwear, bras, blouses, socks, and shoes.
One great feature about this set is that each bag has a different colored zipper. This allows you to better organize your delicates and even dedicate each color to a specific type of garment.
- Includes seven bags that will accommodate legwear, bras, blouses, socks, and shoes
- Colored zippers allow for better organization of garments in the wash or when traveling
- Protective zipper band to keep all garments protected
- This might be more laundry bags than you need
Best Eco-Friendly: Guppyfriend Washing Bag
If reducing microfibers from entering our rivers and oceans is your #1 priority, then the Guppyfriend washing bag is for you. This is the only mesh laundry bag on our list with a patent, and has been scientifically proven to stop microplastic pollution.
By washing synthetic fiber clothing in a Guppyfriend, you can rest assured that, on average, your garment will shed 86% less synthetic fibers than if it was washed without the mesh bag [Source: Guppyfriend].
Additionally, many of the fibers that do manage to break off from your garment will get trapped within the bag and can be disposed of properly after washing.
With all of that said, this is one of the more expensive bags on our list.
- Reduces synthetic fiber shedding from garments
- Guppyfriend filters fibers that may break off from synthetic fabrics and collects them in the corners of the mesh bag
- Serves as a daily reminder to adjust shopping habits and washing rituals to better serve and maintain our environment
What to Look for in a Mesh Laundry Bag
A zipper is more secure than a drawstring or snap. Drawstrings might get caught in your washer or dryer and lead to complications, and snaps might not remain closed. A quality zipper will ensure your item stays in the bag.
When looking at the zipper, ensure that it is rust-resistant and snag-proof. Some zippers have zipper enclosures in which they are hidden so they cannot come in contact with other items in the washer or dryer.
Size and Form
Consider the forms of what types of items you will be washing. Mesh laundry bags designed for bras and shoes fit the forms of those item types and ensure they are not moving around within the bag or getting stretched out as they might in a larger bag.
Smaller items, such as bras and socks, are suited for smaller bags, while larger items, such as sweaters, will fit into larger bags.
Look for close-knit mesh vs. mesh with wider holes so that nothing gets caught within the holes. This is why I recommend the Durable Honeycomb Mesh Laundry Bags as our top overall pick.
Closer-knit mesh also ensures that microplastics and fibers are caught within the bag’s corners. After use, you can pick out any debris and responsibly dispose of it, ensuring microplastics are not leaching into the wash water.
How to Use a Mesh Laundry Bag
Using a mesh laundry bag is quite simple! You’ll place the item(s) in the bag and put it in the laundry as you would with a regular load of laundry.
You can choose to put the mesh laundry bag in the wash alongside unbagged clothes, or you can do a load dedicated to delicates. In either case, you can have multiple mesh laundry bags within the laundry.
- Put the item in your mesh bag
- Zip the mesh bag
- Place the mesh bag in the laundry
- Select the delicates setting and start the washing cycle
- You can put the mesh bag in the dryer or choose to air dry or line dry.
Items That Can Be Washed in Mesh Laundry Bags
In addition to traditional use cases for mesh laundry bags like lingerie and swimwear, there are more unexpected ways that mesh laundry bags can be used.
Creative use cases for mesh laundry bags include placing kids’ toys within them and tossing them in the dishwasher (top rack only) or using them for storage and travel.
Read on to learn about items that can be used in mesh laundry bags!
Swimwear and Athletic Wear
Stretchy materials like those used in bathing suits and athletic wear will lose shape over time. A mesh laundry bag will keep these items in better condition for longer.
Swimwear with strings, like string bikinis or one-pieces with thin straps, should be used in mesh laundry bags so the strings do not get caught within the washer and dryer.
Lingerie, Hosiery, and Socks
Bras, underwear, and hosiery are typically made with delicate fabric and benefit from the protection offered by a mesh laundry bag.
Even if not delicate, socks can be washed in mesh laundry bags to keep pairs together!
Winter Outerwear and Sweaters
Wool, velvet, or cashmere gloves, scarves, and sweaters benefit from mesh laundry bags by reducing the amount of friction they are exposed to and preventing the shape from stretching out.
Bonus: You can use mesh laundry bags to store winter gear since they are breathable.
Delicate Fabrics and Embellishments
Lace, satin, and silk are delicate fabrics that require protection.
Items with embellishments such as rhinestones or strings will be protected from snagging within mesh laundry bags.
Reuseable face pads can be washed in mesh laundry bags to protect them from other items and to keep them together in the wash.
Mesh laundry bags prevent small items like baby clothes from being tangled in the wash.
There are also more creative uses for washing kids’ items in mesh laundry bags. You can clean plastic toys in the dishwasher inside the mesh bag to keep them contained.
High chair straps can be placed within a mesh laundry bag to be cleaned either in the dishwasher (if the manufacturer’s instructions note they are dishwasher safe) or in the washing machine.
Product Comparison Chart
In general, you should wash your bras every 2 – 3 wears, though you’ll want to wash more often after sweatier use. [Source: Cleveland Clinic]
Yes! You can wash shoes in a regular washer and dryer. First, give the shoes a quick rub down by clapping them together outside or wiping them down with a cloth to eliminate any surface mud or grit.
Next, you’ll toss the shoes in the bag and put them in the washer and dryer. Unless something is noticeably dirty, we recommend using the delicates setting to save time and water.
After each use, be sure to check the inside of the mesh bag for any debris or fiber buildup. Remove this with your hands and dispose in the trash.
If you notice your mesh laundry bag needs cleaning, you can wash it with soap and water.
Final Thoughts on Mesh Laundry Bags
You can’t go wrong with any of these mesh laundry bags! They will all offer your delicate items protection and help extend your items’ life.
Moreover, if you remove lint and debris from synthetic clothes from the laundry bags, you are helping to protect our water systems by reducing microplastics.
A win for clothing longevity and our environment!