Looking for a way to better organize your laundry supplies? Put away branded laundry packaging and replace it with a refillable laundry detergent dispenser. Doing so is a great way to reduce visual clutter in your laundry room. Bonus points if you start buying your laundry supplies in bulk or at a refillery to reduce plastic waste!
Start by determining which laundry products could benefit from a refillable detergent dispenser. You might have liquid laundry detergent, a powdered laundry booster, and distilled white vinegar as a laundry softener. Below I have listed my favorite options for refillable laundry detergent dispensers.
(And if you’re interested, check out my picks for the best non-toxic laundry detergents.)
Top Picks for Laundry Detergent Dispensers:
Liquid Dispensers and Accessories:
- Stainless Steel – Italian Fusti Dispenser with Lever Spigot
- Glass – Anchor Hocking Glass Dispenser with Spigot
- Hook for Measuring Cup Storage – S-Hook
- Enamel Measuring Cup – Liters or Ounces
Laundry Pods and Powdered Detergent Storage:
- Enamel – White and Black Enamel Canister Set
- Ceramic – Natural Home Lidded Bin
- Glass – Anchor Hocking Glass Jar
- Glass – Bormioli Rocco Italian Glass Canning Jar
Liquid Laundry Detergent Dispenser
When it comes to storing liquid laundry detergents, I prefer lidded dispensers with a spigot. The spigot makes for easy (and tidy!) pouring. Glass, stainless steel, and enamel are all great materials to consider for storing liquid laundry detergent. See below for my favorites.
- These stainless steel water cooler containers are also know as Italian fustis. The perfect drink...
- Dimensions: diameter: 11 In, Height: 9. 45 in; opening: 5. 1 in. Every water dispenser includes a...
- Butter welding is an economical and reliable way of joining pieces without using additional...
This Italian “fusti” dispenser is actually meant to store cooking ingredients like water, olive oil, vinegars, and other beverages. What’s great is that it also makes for an attractive, high quality, and long lasting laundry detergent dispenser.
You may need to dilute your laundry detergent with water to ensure easy flow through the spigot (per recommendation from The Organized Home). If you don’t have a shelf for easy storage, you can purchase a matching stand.
- INCLUDES: This Anchor Hocking glass jar set contains (1) 2-gallon Heritage Hill jar with (1) spigot...
- USE: These glass jars are perfect to dispense all manner or liquids from lemonades to iced teas....
- DURABLE: These glass drink dispensers with matching lids are wide mouthed and thick walled to...
A budget-friendly option for liquid laundry detergent is this lidded glass dispenser. Again, you may need to slightly dilute your detergent in order to ensure proper flow through the spigot. Otherwise, this is an inexpensive and minimalist laundry detergent dispenser.
- 100% stoneware construction
- Includes 1 measuring cup
- 6"L x 4.5"W x 4.25"H
Not a dispenser, but you will likely want to pair your new dispenser with a measuring cup. Doing so will make it easy to transfer detergent to your washer. I like this enamel measuring cup because it is sturdy (won’t break if accidentally dropped) and has a handle. Here is another great option if you prefer to measure in liters.
The handle is key because it makes hanging it to your dispenser with something like an S-Hook super easy. Hang the hook from the spigot of your dispenser, then hang the measuring cup from its handle.
Powder Laundry Detergent Dispenser
Let’s discuss powdered laundry detergent or laundry boosters like Borax or OxiClean. There are a plethora of refillable storage options for powdered detergents like these. Laundry pods, too! I recommend a lidded container made of glass, enamel, ceramic, or stainless steel. Pair any of these options with a stainless steel scoop and you’ll be ready to tackle the toughest stains.
- This vintage-inspired set of lidded metal storage containers features a two-tone enameled finish
- Fill each antique reproduction canister with tea bags, coffee, sugar, or other small kitchen...
- Food and oven safe; Hand wash only
I love an enamel canister in just about every area of my home. I would happily use one to store ingredients or cooking supplies in my kitchen, and I would happily use one to store laundry boosters in my laundry room. You could pair this with a matching enamel measuring cup to make dispersing powder to your laundry bin a breeze.
- Holds food scraps until they are transferred to an outdoor compost area
- Includes charcoal filter
This is actually meant to be used as a ceramic compost bin, but I think it works nicely as a laundry container as well. I wouldn’t recommend this for laundry pods because the holes in the lid might allow too much moisture from the air to circulate in the bin. Powdered detergents should be fine here.
- INCLUDES: This Anchor Hocking glass jar set contains (2) 1-gallon Heritage Hill jars with (2) glass...
- USE: These glass jars are perfect to store all manner of dry goods including flour, cookies, rice,...
- DURABLE: These glass jars with matching lids are wide mouthed and thick walled to ease scooping and...
This jar might look familiar because it is the same jar I featured as one of the liquid detergent dispensers but without the spigot. If matching is important to you, then grab one for liquid detergent and the other for powdered.
- Includes Two 1.5 Liter ( 50.72 Ounce) Bormioli Rocco Fido Clear Canning Jar - Made in Italy
- Versatile Jar can be used to store pasta,beans,rice and more
- The absence of lead guarantees 100% recyclable products
Canning jars make for a great storage option for laundry pods. Because you want to keep laundry pods away from moisture, the air-tight seal is perfect.
Don’t Forget to Label!
If you want to make it easy for your family to help you with laundry cleaning chores, I recommend using labels. Make it clear which laundry detergent dispenser is each. Also, clearly mark appropriate measurements to avoid accidental soap suds explosions.
If you have nice handwriting, invest in a sheet of waterproof label stickers. Write your own labels with permanent ink, then stick them to your laundry detergent dispensers.
Bulk Laundry Detergent
One of the reasons I like detergent dispensers is that they can be refilled with detergent bought in bulk. This option will reduce your household plastic consumption, which is a great thing for the environment!
First, check if your town has a refillery. Keep an old liquid detergent container and bring it with you to refill detergent. Once home, pour the detergent into your laundry detergent dispenser.
You can also buy large, bulk sizes of detergent. Store bulk packaging somewhere out of sight and refill your dispenser whenever necessary.
Regardless of whether or not you decide to try bulk shopping, don’t forget to properly recycle any container(s) you purchase!