I remember the first time I heard of a drop zone. I asked my sister where I could find my daily Diet Coke, and she told me it was in a box in the drop zone. To me, this sounded vaguely militaristic, like someone had airdropped supplies into our house from a helicopter. So I asked, what is a drop zone in a house? And since when do we have one?
She explained that the drop zone was where she and the rest of my siblings came in from school, and dropped their backpacks, shoes, the dog’s leash, and any other stuff they wanted to ditch there. It meant there was no daily lunch box, binder, and in our case, Diet Coke mess cluttering the front doorway or the hallway. It’s a dedicated and organized space for managing messes of all kinds from the day.
Is a Drop Zone the Same as a Mudroom?
A drop zone is a similar concept to a mudroom, but not quite exactly the same. Mudrooms are usually designed as a place to take off muddy boots and wet coats before entering the rest of the house.
Drop Zones can be used for this too, but they also function as a dedicated place for things that might not be muddy but instead just need some organization like keys, water bottles, masks, and mail. (Source: Millennial Home Owner)
Where is a Drop Zone Located?
The best place for a drop zone is anywhere your family enters the home most frequently. In our home, it was a space off of the garage where the kids came in from school every day.
In your home, it could be the kitchen, hallway, entryway, mudroom, or anywhere else that makes sense for your space. It just needs to be a dedicated area for your stuff to live when you come home at the end of the day.
How to Create a Drop Zone
There are tons of different ways to create a dedicated drop zone in your house, depending on your space and your needs. Below are several product suggestions that would work great in an organized drop zone. By no means do you need all of these items, but a few of these things could work in your space to build an awesome drop zone.
It’s also possible to get some or all of these drop zone organizers second-hand if you’re on a budget. Facebook Marketplace or Nextdoor are great places to look for second-hand pieces, and there are always garage sales too!
Console Table or Desk
- 【Large Storage Space】 The hallway table for entryway with 2 storage drawers, spacious table top and open storage shelf adds plenty of extra space to meet your daily storage needs. The spacious…
- 【Modern and Mid Century Design】 With handmade natural rattan drawers and clean lines, add a cool and bohemian vibe, this console table with drawers is a combination of modern and mid century…
- 【Sturdy and Durable Structure】 Made of premium engineered wood, sturdy wood legs, round metal handle, this modern console table is built to withstand the challenges of long-term use. X-shaped…
A good, solid table is a great addition to any drop zone. It’s a place to put a bowl for keys, a place for mail, and a place to set down purses or sunglasses when you come in the door. Mine also currently has a package of refrigerator magnets I need to return, so it’s a good place to leave anything you need to remember to deal with.
A table or desk is also a great place to put an organizer, to really maximize that space.
Lockers or Cubbies
- Add organization to your entryway with the Freemont Tower’s variety of storage options
- Includes multiple coat hooks for no hassle hanging, easy slide storage cubby, elevated swing door storage space, and top shelf storage
- Featuring an easy slide storage cubby, elevated swing door storage space, and top shelf storage
These cubbies look exactly like the ones my brothers and sisters use when they get home from school. They have hooks for backpacks or jackets, and cubbies underneath for shoes or stacks of assignments and artwork. This kind of locker or cubby situation requires a lot of space, but worth it for the aesthetic organization they provide.
- Height-Adjustable Coat Rack: This coat rack features three height installation options at 39.8, 54.3, and 68.9 inches tall. Customize the rack height for toddlers, kids, or adults exactly as you need…
- Sturdy Wood Material: Crafted from high-quality, solid wood, this coat rack is sturdy and strong enough to support your clothes and items without wobbling. The large triangular base of the…
- Sufficient Storage Space: The coat rack includes 8 storage hooks to provide plenty of space to hang items including clothing, bags, hats, umbrellas, and more. The wooden coat rack can help to keep…
A classic coat rack is a great alternative if lockers are too big for your space. These hangers can serve as a place for jackets, scarves, and hats so they don’t end up balled up in a closet or on the floor.
Bench or Chair
- Product Size:47.2″Lx11.8″Wx16.5″H; Load Capacity:550lbs.
- Made of 100% rubber wood, this bench rack is stable, durable, look good and eco-friendly.
- With detachable embedded nut design, it is more stable and durable than self tapping screw.
A place to sit to take off shoes or put them back on is an excellent addition to any drop zone. This bench doubles as shoe storage, but any place to sit will do. Benches are great if you have multiple people coming and going at the same time. A simple chair is a great option as well.
Easy Shoe Storage
- Tall woven basket handmade from water hyacinth wicker
- Metal frame provides support for holding blankets, toys, magazines and more
- Stylish, contoured rim features a wide open top for easy access
These shoe baskets make for an easy and relatively inexpensive way to store shoes in your drop zone. Shoe baskets work for kids and adults moving too quickly to bother placing shoes on a shelf. I know that in my house, our shoe shelves often get ignored in favor of just kicking shoes off in the general direction of the shelf. If you notice the same habits developing in your family members, shoe baskets are the solution.
- ►【Versatile Storage mail key holder】: 2022 the latest model of the mail key holder Designed specially with sunglasses, wallet, mask case, tool box, storage of more powerful function If you have…
- ►【Stylish Looking Mail Holder】: You can install key mail holder in the front door, hallway, living room, bedroom, bathroom, farmhouse Storage room to meet your all kinds of storage requirements…
- ►【Premium eco-friendly wood key rack】: Each board is carefully selected and The surface of wood adopts carbonization craft, insect-proof, environmentally friendly, with a light wood fragrance…
This wall-mounted organizer is a great multi-purpose addition to a drop zone. It serves as a place for wallets, sunglasses, and a place to hang keys. It’s also a great space saver, providing a good amount of storage up on a wall where it’s out of the way.
- Sophisticated utility; organize your month with our acrylic hanging calendar, featuring a printed monthly layout in white and two wet erase markers
- Usable space; this acrylic surface is 24” wide by 24” tall by . 25” thick, and comes with drywall anchors and screws for easy hanging
- Optimal integration; designed to accommodate up to 5 of our acrylic wall accessories to create your custom wall organizer
A monthly wall calendar is really helpful to have in a common space so everyone can see what’s coming up that month. It’s especially helpful for kids to know when the next soccer practice is and what day that birthday party is going to be. A household calendar really helps keep everyone on the same page, and the drop zone is the perfect place for one.
- These storage baskets for shelves are handmade with seagrass by skilled craftspeople. Seagrass is one of the materials that humans have used for the longest time to braid various types of objects….
- Decorative storage boxes with lids are both handy and elegant. It can be placed in the living room,bedroom,children’s room,bathroom and even work place,or to be used as closet storage bins. The small…
- Each side of the storage boxes is fixed with an iron frame to increase stability and can bear a certain weight. The woven storage baskets are closed with buttons to prevent dust and naughty babies or…
Baskets, bowls, and catchalls – each with a specific job to do – can really make life easier in your space. In mine, I have a bowl for keys, a basket for all things dog-related (leashes, harnesses, and bags), as well as a basket for everything else that comes out of our pockets like sunglasses and headphones.