Ever since my husband and I started adopting zero waste grocery shopping habits, we also started to store our dry pantry goods in glass jars. Our pantry goods are stored on open shelves in our kitchen (we have extremely limited cabinet space), so we wanted to choose jars that were practical and durable, but also attractive since they would be on display.
I have personally tested countless glass pantry storage jars (including those on this list). I use glass jars for storing spices, condiments, leftovers, dry food items, ferments, canned food, and more. Glass jars are one of the most multipurpose investments I have made in my kitchen! Below I’m sharing 5 of the very best glass pantry jars for a sustainable, organized kitchen.
Best Glass Pantry Jars
- PRESERVING WHATS BEST This package contains one Le Parfait glass preserving jar with NEW Stainless Steel wire, presented elegantly within environmentally friendly, compostable packaging. Le Parfait…
- PRESERVE, STORE, SERVE, DECOR Utilize these brand new, versatile Le Parfait glass jars to preserve your seasonal harvest, revitalize your pantry storage and bulk-goods shopping, serve up a decadent…
- WELCOME TO PERFECTION Le Parfaits superior function, design and beauty provide you an escape from the same old cracked glass, seal failures, rusty bands and industrial appearance. Be confident that Le…
We have a small collection of French Le Parfait canning jars in our pantry. We use them to store items like various types of sugar and flour, oats, coffee beans, rice, and more. With that said they are also safe to use for pickling and fermenting or storing condiments in the fridge.
What I love about these gasket-style jars is that once the rubber seal reaches the end of its life, you can simply replace that seal. You don’t need to replace the entire jar.
- Set of three: 17oz 4.25 x 3.75 33.75oz 4.25 x 6.25 50.75oz 4.25 x 8.76
- Made of Glass Zinc Coated Wire Rubber Gasket
- Hand Wash Only
Bormioli Rocco Fido jars are more or less the Italian version of the French Le Parfait jars. They are designed with a slightly different shape but serve the exact same purpose. The differences are more of a matter of aesthetic preference than quality in my opinion.
One word on quality: be careful before investing in cheaper look-alike versions of these gasket-style jars. Cheap alternatives tend to be made from thinner glass that will break more easily. Plus sometimes these cheaper styles use a non-food safe grade silicone gasket. Remember, you get what you pay for!
- Food Preservation – Weck is versatile, BPA free, comes in several sizes and shapes, seals easily, and decorative; This 5″ tall safe and decorative kitchen storage jar is a seal proof option to…
- Perfect for Home Canning – Specializing in all problems and questions concerning home canning, Weck has continuously developed and improved home-canning methods with the aid of its long experience,…
- Healthy and Easy Living – While world is moving away from plastic, Weck jar offer an awesome alternative to plastic jar; Eat or drink in environment friendly Weck jar; You can easily wash this glass…
For a sleeker version of a gasket canning jar try these by German company, Weck. They feature a clamping mechanism with a lower profile lid. I personally love the design of these for practical reasons related to dishwashing.
The Le Parfait and Bormiollo Rocco Fido jar lids do not detach from the base. This makes washing them a bit awkward and cumbersome. I also don’t recommend cleaning those jars in the dishwasher. I notice the metal wears down more quickly that way, making the lids more difficult to close properly.
These Weck jars have metal clamps that you remove completely to lift the glass lid. So you can wash the glass jars and glass lids in your dishwasher without any fear of degrading the quality of the metal clamps.
- Set of six 27-ounce glass jars for storing kitchen or pantry items
- Clear glass makes it easy to view contents at a glance
- Tight-sealing glass lids with plastic fitments help keep items fresh
If the gasket-style isn’t for you, consider these sleek glass jars by Libbey. They are American made and use tight-sealing glass lids to keep contents fresh. They are sold in a variety of sizes from large 27-ounce jars to smaller versions perfect for spices and small batches of condiments.
- Regular mouth glass preserving mason jar. Regular mouth lids. Regular mouth bands.
- Ideal for sliced fruits and vegetables, pickles, tomato-based juices, and sauces.
- These jars are BPA-free.
Last but not least, let’s talk about Mason jars. These are classic canning jars that come in a variety of sizes and can be used for so many purposes in the kitchen.
We use Mason jars in our home for dry food storage, pickling, and fermenting. My husband and I also use large Mason jars as water cups to help track our water intake (so effective!). I use a Mason jar to store wooden spoons on my countertop. I have also used them as makeshift vases throughout my home, and so much more.
The one drawback of these jars is the metal lids. They will rust over time and require replacing. Also, because they are two pieces, it’s a bit trickier for tiny toddler hands to open and close the lids on smaller snack-sized jars.
Best Glass Spice Jars
The glass pantry jars I selected above are great for larger bulk dry goods storage. If you’re interested in spice storage, I recommend reading my post with glass spice jars and spice storage recommendations as well.
Interested in a Sustainable Home?
If you’re interested in sustainable storage solutions, home tools, and products then grab a free copy of my Green Cleaning Toolkit Guide. In the guide I provide checklists for every tool and natural ingredient I use to clean my entire home – plus how I use them!