The Best Spice Jars for Zero Waste Spice Storage
When it comes to kitchen organization, beautiful storage solutions are key. It is much easier on the eye to look at a shelf of matching jars or containers than it is to navigate varied containers branded with different fonts and colors. This is one reason why I like using refillable spice jars.
The other reason I like using refillable spice jars is because I buy my favorite spices in bulk. Buying in bulk saves money and minimizes unnecessary packaging waste. That means I avoid purchasing (and eventually throwing away) new spice jars each time I shop for groceries.
See my list below of the best spice jars to help organize and beautify your sustainable kitchen.
- Best Flip Top Lids: Ultimate Hostess Store Flip Top Glass Spice Jars
- Best Bamboo Lids: Stylvio Spice Jars with Bamboo Lids
- Best Rubber Seal Lid: Libbey Vibe Glass Jars
- Best Magnetic Lids: Gneiss Spice Magnetic Spice Jars
- Best Twist Top Lids: AOZITA Glass Spice Jars
- Best Mason Jar Style: Ball Regular Mouth Mason Jars
Best Flip Top Lids: Ultimate Hostess Store Flip Top Glass Spice Jars
- COMPLETE SET: Each set of 12 hinged glass jars includes 20 preprinted and 20 plain chalkboard labels, a chalk marker and a wide funnel for refilling. Get each of your jars refilled and labeled with…
- FLIP-TOP AIRTIGHT LIDS: The airtight swing top lids make opening and closing them super easy. The orange gasket will keep the jar contents fresh by providing an air-tight secure seal preventing any…
- LOTS OF VALUE: This set offers 12 jars, allowing you to use them as you see fit in the kitchen or for other projects. Fill them with your special spices and gift them to friends, use as party favors,…
If I had to choose a favorite spice jar, this would be my pick. I love that the flip top can be opened with one hand. The opening at the top is narrow enough to seamlessly funnel bulk spices into each jar but wide enough for my measuring spoons to scoop inside.
The lids are airtight and the jars are easy to wash with a bottle brush. While the labels included in this set aren’t necessarily my taste, they are convenient and easy to use. In a word, these glass flip top spice jars are great!
- Flip top design can be opened and closed with one hand
- Opening is wide enough to fit most measuring spoons
- Airtight closure
- Funnel included for easy refilling
- Need a small bottle brush to clean
- Low quality labels included
- Quantity: Set of 12
- Material: Glass, Metal, Rubber Seal
- Capacity: 3.4oz
Best Bamboo Lids: Stylvio Spice Jars with Bamboo Lids
- ⭐ THE MOST COMPLETE SET ON THE MARKET – Comes with 12 durable borosilicate glass spice jars, 12 premium bamboo lids, 152 beautiful pre-printed herbs, spice, and blend labels, 12 black chalkboard…
- 🌎 RESPONSIBLY SOURCED PREMIUM MATERIAL – Glass jars made of food-grade borosilicate tempered glass, offer high transparency, durability, and shatter-resistance, while smooth-polished bamboo lids…
- 💥 MULTI-PURPOSE – Your new favorite kitchen helpers for tackling pantry organization projects. Apart from keeping your spices, blends, and herbs fresh and neatly organized, they work magnificently…
I love this set of spice jars for so many reasons. First of all, they are beautiful. The flat lid design makes them easy to stack on top of one another for easy cabinet storage. The rubber seal makes the lids airtight which is important for extending the lifespan of dried spices. Then the large jar opening fits any size measuring spoon. Plus, I personally love the design of the included set of sticker labels.
But with all of that said, the main reason I love these spice jars so much is that they are sold in a variety of sizes! You can choose sets in 2.5oz, 4oz, 6oz, or 8oz. So you can appropriately store spices you buy in bulk vs. spices you use less often and buy in smaller volumes. And you can do this while still coordinating the look and feel of your jars! A true feast for these eyes.
- Flat lids make these jars easy to stack in a cabinet
- Airtight rubber seal
- Wide jar mouth opening fits any size measuring spoon
- Beautiful sticker labels included in each set
- Option to purchase multiple sets of jars in different sizes to appropriately store your favorite spices (large jars) vs. lesser used spices (small jars)
- Be mindful of the dimensions of each jar. Most jars are not tall enough to store items like cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, or vanilla beans.
- Quantity: Set of 12
- Material: Glass, Bamboo, Rubber
- Capacity: 2.5oz, 4oz, 6oz, or 8oz options
Best Rubber Seal Lid: Libbey Vibe Glass Jars
- Mini glass jar with lid
- This product is manufactured in united states.
- Clear – 4.5 ounces
I love the minimalist design of these glass spice jars. These would look very sleek on a shelf in a modern kitchen. If you’re an avid cook and in the habit of emptying spice jars regularly, these are extremely easy to clean. They’re dishwasher friendly so regularly refilling with replacement spices is no problem.
Some customers complained that the label stickers on the bottom of each jar are difficult to remove (try this hack for removing stickers from glass!). Other customers complained that these are just a tad too small to store a full spice jar’s worth of spices from the store. Give the Libbey Vibe jar a tap after filling to encourage spices to settle so you can fit the rest!
- Sleek, minimalist look and feel
- Easy to clean in the dishwasher
- Great for spice storage inside of a drawer
- Stickers on the bottom of each jar are difficult to remove
- Some customers complain that the lids are not 100% air tight
- Quantity: 12
- Material: Glass, BPA-Free Rubber Gasket
- Capacity: 4.5oz
Best Magnetic Lids: Gneiss Spice Magnetic Spice Jars
- Declutter your spices into a work of art!
- Stylish jars stick to your fridge, saving valuable kitchen space. With spices in sight, you’ll use them more often; no more digging in cabinets for stale spices or buying duplicates. Reusable and…
- Smooth glass showcases spices. Durable containers are airtight and last longer than metal tins. Strong neodymium magnets keep jars from sliding; jars stick to a swinging refrigerator door. Set…
Tight on kitchen space? If you don’t have a spare drawer, counter, or wall in your kitchen for spice storage then these magnetic spice jars might be the perfect solution for you. Gneiss Spice magnetic spice jars can be stored on the front or side of your fridge. They fit into a cute honeycomb pattern, making for an attractive spice jar display.
As a bonus, Gneiss Spice is a woman owned and operated small business. All of their materials and manufacturing happen in Maine, meaning you will receive a USA-made quality product.
- Space-saving magnet lid design perfect for small kitchens without spare drawer, cabinet, counter, or wall storage space
- Includes attractive, washable labels to stick on the bottom of each jar
- Women owned and operated
- Materials and manufacturing all made in the USA
- Expensive (paying for USA-made quality materials and manufacturing)
- Quantity: Set of 12 or 24
- Material: Glass, Metal
- Capacity: 4oz (large size)
Best Twist Top Lids: AOZITA Glass Spice Jars
- COMPLETE SQUARE SPICE BOTTLES SET» 24 Square Empty Glass Spice Jars, 24 Shaker Lids, 24 Metal Caps and 2 kinds of Waterproof Spice Jar Labels ( Pre-printed Clear PVC labels, Chalkboard Labels, and…
- HIGH-QUALITY JARS » Our Spice Jars are made from high-quality Lead-Free durable glass. Clear glass let you have a clear look of spices, each square glass jar measures approximately 4 1/8″ x 1 3/4″…
- PREMIUM ACCESSORY » Exclusive sift and pour shaker lids matching metal airtight caps which means your herbs stay fresher longer! Preprinted Round Spice Labels which includes blank labels that can be…
If you like a traditional twist top lid with the option to sift or pour out spices then this is your spice jar. These are designed much like the conventional spice jars you purchase in grocery stores, but without the mis-matched branding.
The lids are metal twist tops, but the set also includes plastic tops that snap on beneath the metal lid. These plastic tops give you the option to sift (sprinkle) spices as you cook or pour them into a measuring spoon. If that functionality is important to you, then this set is perfect!
- Includes sift and pour shaker tops
- Simple twist top lid design
- Includes silicone funnel for easy refilling
- Option to use the included label stickers
- Some customers complain that the silicone funnel clings to spices and is difficult to clean in between uses
- Quantity: Set of 24
- Material: Glass, Metal, Plastic
- Capacity: 4oz
Best Multipurpose: Ball Regular Mouth Mason Jars
- 8 PACK CANNING JARS – 4-ounce jars, mason jar perfect for canning, pickling, Conserving fruits and veggies such as Jams & Jellies, herbs, preserves syrups, sauces, Honey, Dry food, Overnight oats,…
- DURABLE GLASS CONSTRUCTION – Mini jars with lids Made in USA Made of soda-lime glass USDA approved and Toxin-free glass jars ensures food grade quality. Heat-tempered durability canning jar for water…
- AIRTIGHT SEAL – Mason jar lids, Time-tested sealing compound, ensures a quality air-tight seal with each lid. 4 oz glass jars with lids Refrigerate up to 3 weeks, freeze up to 1 year, or fresh…
These are definitely the most multipurpose spice jars on this list. You can use these jars to store spices, baby food, snacks, jam, or anything else you need them for in the kitchen. The use cases expand even further if you invest in different style lids. You can choose from baby bottle silicone nipples, to plastic twist top lids, to sprouting lids, shaker lids, and more.
With that said, these jars work well for spice storage. The glass is durable, easy to clean, easy to fill, and easy to scoop with any size measuring spoon. Overall this is a simple, practical, multi-purpose spice jar for every kitchen!
- Multipurpose – you can use these jars to store spices, baby food, snacks, jam, or anything else you need them for in the kitchen.
- Easy to clean in the dishwasher
- Lids have an airtight seal and are easy to source and replace as needed
- Don’t stack well with the included mason jar lids
- Quantity: Set of 8
- Material: Glass, Metal
- Capacity: 4oz
Product Comparison Chart
Considerations Before Investing in Refillable Spice Jars
Spice Jar Storage Solutions
Before you invest in a set of spice jars, it’s first important to consider storage. Where are you going to store your spices? Are you going to dedicate a pull-out spice drawer? Are they going to be stacked in your pantry? Do you have dedicated wall space for spice shelves?
If you aren’t sure, read below for a few simple spice jar storage solutions.
Do you have a spare kitchen drawer that you can dedicate to spice jar storage? Invest in spice jars with lids that can be easily labeled. Or insert a spice rack tray in your drawer so spice jars can lay at an angle for easy selection.
Spice racks come in all shapes and sizes. Spice racks can be stored on countertops, on cabinet shelves, or mounted on a wall depending on the design. Make sure whatever spice rack you choose (or already own!) is compatible with the dimensions of your spice jars.
Lazy susans are a great kitchen organization staple. These can be placed in any kitchen cabinet for use with spices, oils, vinegars, condiments, and more.
Are you lacking cabinet, drawer, and cabinet storage space? Consider a set of magnetic spice jars! Utilize the vertical space on your fridge for spice storage and save valuable storage space else
Spice Jar Labels
You might think that you’ll be able to remember the contents of each of your spice jars, but if you amass a sizable collection of spices that quickly becomes a fool’s errand. Determine a labeling system that works for you both practically and aesthetically. Below are a few good options to consider.
Tape and Pen
The classic option for label making – a permanent marker and thin masking tape. If you have decent penmanship then this system might be the right fit for you. Don’t like the look of tape? Invest in a paint pen and write directly on glass spice containers.
The most obvious choice for making labels: a label maker. There are SO many models and brands to choose from. I tend to recommend two popular options. The first is by Dymo – it’s an inexpensive embossing label maker and works well if you like the vintage look and feel of these labels. The second is a Brother P-touch classic label maker. This is a great option if you like to print label stickers.
Pre-Printed Label Stickers
Don’t want to make your own labels? Invest in a set of pre-printed label stickers. There are tons of cute options on sites like Etsy that suit every aesthetic.
Kait is the founder and editor of A Clean Bee. She is passionate about discovering natural, eco-friendly, and sustainable ways to clean and organize her home. Kait has been featured in online publications such as NBC News, Oprah Magazine, BuzzFeed and PopSugar for her expertise in natural cleaning techniques. She enjoys spending her off-time outside in her garden with her husband and their two small boys.