Few things make me feel more put together than wearing a nicely pressed shirt. But the chore of ironing all of my shirts can be cumbersome and time consuming (luckily, these time-saving ironing hacks help). With that said, investing in high quality ironing accessories helps motivate me to get it done!
Ironing feels less like a chore when I get to use tools like a great iron, homemade spray starch, a nice ironing board, and of course one of the best ironing board covers. Below I am listing the very best ironing board covers on the market that just may motivate you to iron more often too.
- Best Unbleached Cotton: TIVIT Ironing Board Cover
- Best Heat Reflective: TIVIT Silicone and Aluminum Coated Ironing Board Cover
- Best for Steam Generator Irons: Brabantia Thick Foam & Felt Padding Ironing Board Cover
- Best Ironing Board Felt Padding: LaundrySpecialist Felt Padding Ironing Board Underlay
Best Ironing Board Covers
Best Unbleached Cotton: TIVIT Ironing Board Cover
- DURABLE YET SOFT – Our TIVIT EcoTek ironing board covers are sourced from the finest Raw 100% Natural Cotton, produced in small batches. The top layer cotton is specifically engineered to withstand…
- CHEMICAL FREE COTTON & WOOL – Each cover is individually crafted with untreated, unbleached, all natural 100% cotton and wool. The layers are sewn together along the edge to forgo the use of any…
- FASTENERS & PULL BUNGEE: Stop fighting with your cover to stay in place. Each cover has 3 fasteners underneath as well as a pull bungee that tightens perfectly to the shape of your board. Please note,…
If I had to choose a favorite ironing board cover, this would be my choice. It is made in Italy from high quality, unbleached cotton fabric. It includes a thick wool felt underlay. Both layers are sewn together as opposed to fused together with adhesives that can be toxic – especially when heat is applied from an iron.
Wool is naturally heat reflective, meaning it will absorb heat from the iron then reflect it back into the fabric you are trying to iron. This saves you time and renders a better result. Wool’s heat reflective property is one reason why wool is also such a great fabric for keeping your body warm in cold weather. Instead of absorbing your body heat, wool reflects it back to your body.
This particular ironing board cover is sold in 5 sizes to ensure a perfect fit on your specific ironing board. It includes 3 fasteners and a pull bungee for a snug fit without any puckering or wrinkles.
- Eco-friendly, natural materials
- Naturally heat repellent wool liner
- No use of potentially toxic adhesives
- 2 year warranty
- Some customers complained about a strong scent that may be caused by the mild soap they use to clean the fabrics. This scent will dissipate if the cover is left outdoors to air out for a few hours.
- Material: 100% natural cotton and wool
- Padding: Wool
- Warranty: 2 years
Best Heat Reflective: TIVIT Silicone and Aluminum Coated Ironing Board Cover
The best quality ironing board covers are going to be made from heat reflective materials. Some fabrics like wool are naturally heat reflective, but few materials are more heat reflective than metal. Think about aluminum foil or space blankets. These materials reflect heat to better heat your food or your body.
This ironing board cover is manufactured with Alumitek coating (a silicone and aluminum treated fabric) that effectively reflects heat. This combination of materials minimizes ironing time, enables clothing to glide easily over the cover, and generally yields a high quality result.
It’s also scorch and stain resistant. There is a layer of foam and felt below the cover fabric that minimizes slipping and ensures a smooth pressed finish to your clothing.
- Scorch and spill resistant
- Fits all ironing board nose shapes
- Clothes glide smoothly over the aluminum and silicone treated cover surface
- Made in Fair Trade facilities in Italy
- Some customers complain about the padding being too thin and needing to add an extra pad beneath to achieve an ideal thickness
- Material: Silicone, aluminum
- Padding: Foam and wool felt
- Warranty: 2 years
Best for Steam Generator Irons: Brabantia Thick Foam & Felt Padding Ironing Board Cover
- All-in-one – complete set of pure cotton cover and thick underlay.
- Perfect match – made for your Brabantia ironing board C (49 x 18 inches).
- Durable – heavy duty 100% cotton cover with resilient underlay.
If you’re serious about ironing, then you may currently own or are curious about steam generator irons. These irons produce a higher volume of steam than conventional clothes irons. This enables them to release wrinkles from clothing much faster than other irons can.
With that said, they require an ironing board cover that can hold up to a lot of steam! This is why the Brabantia Thick Foam & Felt Padding Ironing Board Cover is a great option for steam generator irons.
It’s made from 100% cotton cover material which effectively repels heat, resists moisture, and is scorch and stain resistant. It includes a thick 8 mm underlay to ensure a crisp, smooth finish on ironed fabrics.
- 100% cotton cover material
- Great for both regular clothes irons and steam generator irons
- 2 year warranty
- While it is advertised to include thick, 8mm padding, many customers complain about more padding still being necessary to achieve the best results when ironing with this cover
- Material: Cotton
- Padding: Foam and felt
- Warranty: 2 years
Best Ironing Board Felt Padding: LaundrySpecialist Felt Padding Ironing Board Underlay
- ✅ HIGH EUROPEAN QUALITY: This Ironing Board Felt Pad is made from 100% Polyester. OEKO-TEX certified and produced conform the highest standard. Premium European Quality!
- ✅ EXTREME IRONING COMFORT: With this extra-thick Ironing Board Felt Pad you can iron extra comfortably. The ‘pillow effect’ will ensure that Ironing becomes fun again!
- ✅ EASY TO CUT TO SIZE: Just Cut your Felt Underlayer to the size of your Ironing Board. This way, the Felt Pad will always fit your Ironing Board or Ironing Board Cover.
Sometimes it isn’t the ironing board cover itself that needs replacing, just the padding underneath. If your cover is still in good shape but you’re noticing the holes from your ironing board are making marks in your ironed fabrics it’s time to replace the felt padding.
Good quality ironing board padding should measure between 4-8mm and be made from felt. The highest quality versions will be made from 100% wool felt. Wool is naturally heat reflective, meaning it will absorb heat from your iron and reflect it back into the fabric you’re trying to press. You may be able to find thick wool felt at your local fabric store, but it will be expensive.
Alternatively, this OEKO-TEX certified polyester blend underlay will also get the job done. It is ⅜ inches thick and can be cut to any size and shape ironing board. Simply cut to size, lay it down, cover, and start ironing!
- OEKO-TEX certified
- Easy to cut to size
- 55×20 Inches makes it easy to customize the size to almost any ironing board on the market
- Polyester fabric is not eco-friendly
- Thick fabric is difficult to cut
- Material: Polyester
- Padding: 3/8 inch thick felt
- Warranty: None
Product Comparison Chart
Considerations Before Purchasing
Ironing Board Size and Shape
Choosing the right sized ironing board cover will eliminate (or at least minimize) any chances of puckering around the edges. It’s important to size it right so you have a smooth surface to iron over so your fabrics end up with a crisp, smooth finish as well.
Before purchasing an ironing board cover, take a few minutes to measure your ironing board. Measure the length and the width at its widest point. The most important measurement is the length. Even if the width of your board is a bit narrow, so long as you choose an ironing board cover with elastic edging or drawstrings, you can be sure that you’ll end up with a secure fit on all sides.
It can also be helpful to determine the shape of the “nose” or the narrowest end of your ironing board before selecting a cover. Most boards are manufactured with one of three nose shapes: Rounded, tapered, or blunt nose.
Material and Durability
The most important factor to consider when choosing an ironing board cover material is heat reflectivity. A good, heat reflective fabric will reflect the heat from your iron back into whatever material you are trying to press. Some heat reflective materials commonly used in ironing board covers include:
- Unbleached Cotton: Quilting, thick drapery, canvas, or duck cloth all work well
- Metallic: Fabrics woven with metals like aluminum or copper are great options
- Wool: Thick, felted wool is a great material for padding or underlayment below ironing board covers
Make sure you pair your ironing board cover with a thick felt underlay padding. This will make sure you have a smooth, padded surface to iron your fabrics on.
Beware of Vintage Ironing Board Covers
Covers manufactured prior to 1960 may have been produced with asbestos because it is fire resistant and durable. Since that time, research has linked household use of asbestos to disease and other dangerous health concerns. Vintage ironing board covers produced after 1960 are less likely to have asbestos.
Ironing Board Best Practices
Keep Your Iron Moving
Never set a hot iron to rest face down on your ironing board cover. Doing so means you will risk scorching, melting or causing even worse damage to your ironing board cover.
Use distilled water in the steam compartment of your iron. Doing so will minimize the chance of the minerals in tap water from fossilizing on the bottom of your iron (or in your fabrics). This simple step will help lengthen the lifespan of your iron, ironing board cover, and fabrics.
It depends on the material and construction of your ironing board cover. To be safe, it is usually best to spot treat stains by hand then line dry. Most ironing board covers can be cleaned by regularly wiping away dust or dirt with a lightly damp cloth. You can also vacuum dust from your ironing board cover with the brush attachment on your favorite vacuum.
This will depend entirely on how often you use your ironing board. If your ironing board cover starts to show signs of wear like tears or if the worn fabric starts to pucker then you know it’s time to replace.
With that said, sometimes the cover itself doesn’t need to be replaced, but instead all you need to replace is the felt liner or underlay.
No. You need some heat absorbing layer to protect the material of the ironing board or ironing surface from the heat of your iron.