Is your or your children’s sock situation getting a little out of control? Socks are one of those clothing items that are extremely easy to organize and bring a bit of calm to your day-to-day.
For me, it’s the easier the better. Depending on your personal organizational style, we’ve pulled together a variety of methods to store and organize your socks.
How to Organize Socks in a Drawer
For those of you using a sock drawer, below are some storage solutions that work with your existing drawers. While socks in a drawer are tucked away, these dividing solutions make it easier to find specific pairs of socks if you have a few varieties of socks.
- ADJUSTABLE LENGTH: If your drawer is anywhere between 12.2” to 17.3”, this set of expandable drawer dividers will work perfectly. That’s extra convenient for large drawers, where it gets messy…
- STRONG SPRING: The drawer separators really bring organization into your home, because they don’t wobble or move out of place. With the spring mechanism and foam padding, the wood dividers stay…
- EASY TO USE: Nothing is complicated. It takes a second to swipe the utensil drawer organizer into your kitchen, bedroom, office or bathroom drawer. And then you have much more organized storage. It’s…
These adjustable drawer dividers fit into your existing drawers. They’re lovely to look at, and a great plastic-free solution since they are made from bamboo. This type of divider gives you neat columns so that you can organize your socks.
For example, you may have one column of woolen winter socks, another for cotton crew socks, etc. Note that it only works for drawers ranging from 17.5” to 22” in depth.
Segmented Sock Sorters
- Drawer Divider with 15 Compartments: Switch to an effortless organization with GOBAM closet organizer – perfect for storing your bras, briefs, underwear, socks, and ties. It features removable…
- Multi-functional Storage: The drawer divider can also work as a storage box for your bathroom, dressing room, countertop,, and office. Its universal compartments can hold watches, keys, tie clips,…
- Durable and Water Resistant: The drawer storage is made from 100% natural solid bamboo which is stronger than wood. It is protected with 3 layers of waterproof coating which enhances durability and…
These segmented sock sorters are great for individually storing sock pairs. You can fold or roll your socks, and insert each pair into each slot. These come in all sorts of sizes, and depending on the seller, come in a variety of materials, including bamboo (a great sustainable option) and fabric (a more lightweight option).
With these, be sure to measure the length, width, and depth of your drawers to ensure a secure fit.
- 🌿 5-PIECE BAMBOO STORAGE DRAWER ORGANIZER SET: An ideal deep drawer organizer for everyday use. Beautifully functional, it’s elegant design makes it the perfect compliment to your home decor….
- 📐 THE PERFECT SIZE: Convenient for kitchen organization, our small drawer organizer fits a variety of drawer sizes: 9.8 x 4.5”, 10.5 x 4.7”, 10.5 x 4.5”, as well as 9.2 x 3.15”, and 5.7 x…
- 💄🔧 MULTI-USE STORAGE BOXES; Declutter and destress with our multipurpose storage bins. An elegant design for daily office organization for your pens, and clips. Or as a bathroom…
Another sock storage idea is drawer inserts. You can purchase them in a variety of materials like bamboo, felt, plastic, or cardboard. They can be found in whatever shapes and sizes suit your drawers and your sock collection.
If you’re familiar with Marie Kondo, you may have heard of Hikidashi boxes. They are simple cardboard boxes used to corral items. These provide a great opportunity to upcycle existing boxes, such as shoe boxes, jewelry boxes, small tech boxes, or other small boxes you have laying around.
You could use these boxes to segment socks by type, within your drawers.
How to Store Socks on a Shelf
If you have limited shelf space but ample shelf space, consider one of these sock storage ideas to get you organized.
- EXTRA STURDY – Designed to be strong and stiff; will not crush under heavy loads
- SHIPPING APPROVED – Perfect to ship! Will protect your item! USPS, UPS, or Fed Ex Approved!
- SINGLE PIECE DESIGN – Assembles in seconds! Lid stays with box!
First up are hikidashi boxes once again (they are so versatile!). These are sometimes lidded cardboard boxes (stackable!) and are versatile because they can be used in drawers or on a shelf.
In this case, I’d repurpose a shoe box since the box will be on a shelf. Most shoe boxes come with a lid which keeps things looking orderly. If upcycling a shoe box, you could even get creative and decorate or label the boxes to your own style.
Baskets or Bins
- Set of 3 cube shelf closet storage baskets dimensions L13xW8.66xH7.87 inch,Oval shape.
- Made of durable woven rope,Long-lasting,Stylish,Cute and attractive.
- Come with durable handle perfect for carrying.
Another option is using baskets or bins to corral your socks. This one is a rope-style cotton bin that’s sold in a ton of gorgeous colors, too! You can use one bin for all socks or have separate bins for different varieties of socks.
Hanging Sock Storage
If you don’t have a dresser but you have extra hanging storage in your closet or on a closet door, then these are the sock storage ideas for you!
Over the Door Shoe Sorter for Socks
- 6 Large pockets hanging storage over the door
- Large clear window see through what are stored inside
- Hangs on standard door or closet rod, no hardware needed
This is a simple over-the-door storage solution that slides right over your existing door. No hardware is necessary, which I love. This is a perfect storage solution for infant or children’s socks due to the small size of the storage compartments. This organizer comes in several colors, too!
Wall Mounted Baskets
- Hanging Basket – Jute Woven Thread Rope, Suitable for multiple uses even kitchen storage
- Functional cute basket – 1 handle, easy to hang on wall or door in living room, bathroom, even the next of bed, wall hanging storage basket for any things small, never messy, great idea as a wall…
- Modern woven wall basket – leather handle with jute basket organizer, nice hanging wicker basket wall art to bring its unique modern and cute for your home
These wall-mounted baskets give a touch of garden charm wherever they are hung. They are great for small amounts of socks, and I’d recommend one basket for each variety of socks. One for no-show socks, another for ankle socks, another for athletic socks, and so on.
Since these baskets are deeper than they are wide, keeping like with like prevents you from having to dig through the basket to get a specific pair from the bottom of the basket.
You could wall mount these inside of a closet, on a bedroom wall, or even on the inside of a door using drill-free command hooks.
Multi-Pocket Hanging Organizer
- 【Dual sides roomy pockets】This hanging shoe rack has 30 pockets in total, can holds kinds of shoes like sandals slippers, tennis shoes, sneakers, it is the perfect item to transform your closet…
- 【Large and sturdy mesh pockets】This closet shoe organizer work great for ladies size 8.5-9 shoes, a size 13 men’s shoes, roomy enough to put two sandals or slippers in each pocket，also suit for…
- 【360 degree rotating hanger】The hanger can be rotated in any direction you want, besides being able to hang this from a conventional closet rod, also can hang them from a wire shelving rod,…
This hanging organizer hangs directly on a closet rod, next to your clothing. I think this could work great for storing individual socks in each pocket, for adults or kids.
One thing I love about this is that it can rotate 360 degrees. That means it can be sideways when storing socks, but you can spin it to face you when you’re choosing socks or putting them away.
Entryway Sock Storage
For some families, it makes a lot of sense to store socks in the entryway of their house. For example, if you have small kids who need help with shoes in the morning or have a no-shoe household, entryway sock storage is the way to go!
- [Natural Wicker Material] The handcrafted storage basket made from water hyacinth will keep your home looking attractive and organized, and it is made of natural, clean, and sustainable materials.
- [Versatile Usages] The hyacinth storage baskets are ideal for holding magazines, games, pet toys, media, household items or hand towels and amenities in the bathroom.
- [Metal Frame and Sturdy Handles] This water hyacinth basket is handwoven over a metal frame. These water hyacinth baskets have thickened built-in handles for easy carrying and comfortable grasping.
These woven baskets, made from water hyacinth, are both beautiful and functional. They make it easy to grab a pair of socks since they don’t have a lid. Plus, they won’t scratch your floors if you keep them on the entryway floor.
I love that they also come in multiple colors and sizes, though I think the larger size is best for socks. Since they are open at the top, they’re easy for kids to use as well.
- These storage baskets for shelves are handmade with seagrass by skilled craftspeople. Seagrass is one of the materials that humans have used for the longest time to braid various types of objects….
- Decorative storage boxes with lids are both handy and elegant. It can be placed in the living room,bedroom,children’s room,bathroom and even work place,or to be used as closet storage bins. The small…
- Each side of the storage boxes is fixed with an iron frame to increase stability and can bear a certain weight. The woven storage baskets are closed with buttons to prevent dust and naughty babies or…
These boxes are another attractive option, made of seagrass. If you prefer stock storage out of sight, these are for you. If you have kids or prefer low-effort solutions, you may not like the extra step of closing and opening the fastener. In that case, I’d recommend an open-top bin or basket, like the baskets above.
- Mid-Century Design Table: Mid-century console table adds a contemporary style to your home with added storage, giving you a blend of functionality and style
- Convenient 2 Storage Drawers: Constructed with 2 storage drawers to provide a space to store magazines, remotes, or smaller items to keep them out of sight
- Solid Wood Construction: Solid wood construction home decor provides a durable base for vases, books, lamps, or other decorations, allowing you to customize your living room ambiance
If you have an entryway console table or entry dresser, you could also dedicate a drawer to socks. This keeps your socks accessible, yet out of sight.
I recommend storing large quantities of socks in drawers, bins or compartments segmented by sock type (e.g. ankle socks, dress socks, athletic socks, etc.).
You can roll or fold socks, but I don’t recommend stretching and flipping the cuff portion over the rest of the sock, as doing so can stretch it out. You could fold shorter socks and roll longer socks. For a visual, check out this TikTok video.
Go vertical! Consider utilizing hanging space for your sock storage. You can hang shelves from a closet rod or use over-the-door storage on the back of a closet or bedroom door. This is a low footprint (no pun intended) method for storing socks and barely takes up any space!
If you don’t have a dresser, you can store socks by using hanging solutions, such as a clothing rod option or an over the door solution. Or, if you have some shelf space, you can organize socks in containers, keeping them tidy and tucked away.