Unlike most areas of your home, you may not have built-in temperature and humidity control in your garage, making it more susceptible to temperature and humidity fluctuations, depending upon the time of year.
This can affect what you store in your garage. While your options to improve the fabric of the building may be limited, you can reduce the humidity with a dehumidifier.
In this article, I’ve summarized the best dehumidifiers available for small, large, or even commercial garages. Read on to find out more!
- Best Overall: Vremi Dehumidifier Energy Star Rated
- Small Spaces: SIMSEN 95oz 720 sq ft Quiet Dehumidifier
- Large Spaces: hOmeLabs Energy Star Dehumidifier 4500 Sq. Ft – 50 Pint
- Whole Home or Commercial: Aprilaire E100 Pro 100 Pint Dehumidifier
Benefits of a Garage Dehumidifier
A dehumidifier is a machine that removes moisture from the air, which helps to control the humidity levels, which can have many consequences for your garage (Source: Breathing Space).
Reduce Metal Corrosion
Elevated humidity levels in poorly ventilated areas, like a garage, can accelerate metal corrosion, particularly on items such as gym equipment. By reducing the humidity of a garage, you can save your gym equipment from rust!
Improve Indoor Air Quality
Dehumidifiers can play a vital role in improving indoor air quality and health. Reducing humidity levels to less than 50% reduces environmental allergens such as dust mites (Source: Arlian et al, 2001).
Dehumidifiers also create a more comfortable environment, especially for individuals with asthma aggravated by humidity, as they can ease symptoms by eliminating excess moisture from the air (Source: Live Science).
Related: Best Garage Vacuums
Minimize Mold and Mildew Development
The EPA recommends that indoor relative humidity be below 60%, ideally between 30% and 50%, if possible, to prevent mold growth (Source: EPA).
Dehumidifiers help reduce mold and mildew growth, thereby reducing the risk of health issues and damage to property such as clothing and soft furnishings.
Pests like dust mites, silverfish, and cockroaches thrive in humid conditions.
Dehumidifiers make the environment less hospitable to these pests, reducing the likelihood of infestations (Source: Healthline).
4 Best Dehumidifiers for the Garage
Best Overall: Vremi Dehumidifier Energy Star Rated
- Our dehumidifier removes up to 22 pints (30 Pint 2012 DOE Standard) from the air per day. This Energy Star certified dehumidifier is fit to quickly and effectively absorb moisture with minimal energy…
- We designed our dehumidifier with convenience and style in mind. This dehumidifier sports a sleek, clean look with convenient built-in wheels and handles, and a quiet fan that does its job without too…
- It’s a dehumidifier, not a rocket ship, and our user-friendly features reflect this. Simply adjust the appliance to your ideal moisture setting, let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank…
This Energy Star Rated, low-energy consumption dehumidifier removes up to 22 pints of moisture from the air per day. The Vremi Dehumidifier allows you to adjust to your desired humidity level and set a timer.
With built-in wheels and handles, it is easy to transport from your house to the garage.
Customer reviews affirm that this is a good buy. Despite lacking a hose for continuous drainage, some users found success using a standard garden hose with the drainage outlet.
All things considered, this is an excellent choice for a garage dehumidifier.
- Quiet, efficient, and portable.
- The built-in tank has a visible water level, so you know when to empty it.
- You can control the humidity level and timer.
- Pauses when the water tank is full, with a handy auto shut-off feature.
- Continuous mode is available with a drain hose (not included).
- Auto defrost mode to prevent coils from freezing.
- While there is a drain hose outlet available, a drain hose is not included, but you can fashion one out of a garden hose.
- Energy Star Rating: Certified
- Moisture Removal Rate: 22 pints per day
- Drain Options: 3-liter tank (drain hose outlet available, but a drain hose is not included)
- Square Foot Coverage: 1,500 sq ft
- Noise: Quiet operation
- Wattage: 25W
- Portable vs. Permanent: Portable
- Tank size: 3-liter tank
- Size: 16.2” W x 10.8” D x 20” H
- Cold Weather Tolerance: Does not say.
Small Spaces: SIMSEN 95oz 720 sq ft Quiet Dehumidifier
- 【High Efficient Dehumidification】Unlike other dehumidifiers on the market, SIMSEN Upgraded dehumidifiers equipped with double dehumidification condenser, Maximum dehumidification area up to 720 sq…
- 【Safe & Smart Dehumidifier】SIMSEN Dehumidifier equipped with a 95oz(2800ml) water tank, SIMSEN Dehumidifier with drain hose, you can put it in the bathroom or kitchen, no need to pour water every…
- 【Ultra Quiet & Two Working Modes】The dehumidifier designed with high power mode and sleep mode that meet everyone’s various needs. You can freely switch between 2 modes. The sleep mode is super…
This dehumidifier can remove a liter of moisture daily and has an adjustable humidity level and timer feature, which offers both flexibility and convenience.
Plus, the built-in wheels and handles make it portable, allowing you to move it from your house to the garage easily. You can even add a touch of ambiance to your space thanks to the atmospheric lights which come in 7 colors!
- This dehumidifier is equipped with a double dehumidification condenser, efficiently reducing room humidity and drying the air.
- The auto-off function prevents overflow by shutting down and emitting a red light as a reminder to empty the tank.
- A portable machine that is great for small spaces.
- Has 7 light settings to choose from or to automatically change between.
- Super quiet sleep mode setting of 30dB, which is as quiet as a whisper!
- Hose included for continuous drainage.
- Two-year warranty included and a 60-day free exchange and refund service.
- It is not clear whether this is an energy-efficient appliance.
- Lower moisture removal rate compared to other models, but this is fine for smaller spaces.
- Energy Star Rating: Does not say
- Moisture Removal Rate: 1 liter per day
- Drain Options: 2.8 liter tank. Hose included for continuous drainage
- Square Foot Coverage: 720 sq ft
- Noise: The sleep mode setting is 30dB, high power mode is 40 dB
- Wattage: 58W – 78W
- Portable vs. Permanent: Portable
- Tank size: 95oz / 2.8 liter tank
- Size: 5.55″ D x 8.26″ W x 13.77″ H
- Cold Weather Tolerance: 59°F – 95°F
Large Spaces: hOmeLabs Energy Star Dehumidifier 4500 Sq. Ft – 50 Pint
- 4,500 sq ft Large Dehumidifier: Our 15.4 x 11 x 24.3 inches dehumidifier with 1.6 gallon water tank capacity removes up to 50 pints (70 Pint 2012 DOE Standard) from the air per day depending on…
- Designed For Modern Home: That most dehumidifiers are clunky eyesores is news to nobody. We designed with the modern consumer in mind: a sleek clean look, convenient built-in wheels and handles, and a…
- Super Easy To Use: Dehumidifiers don’t need to be complicated, so ours isn’t. Adjust to your ideal moisture setting, then let it run its continuous 24-hour cycle until the tank is full, at which…
This dehumidifier is designed for large spaces of up to 4,500 sq ft, which should cover even the largest of domestic garages.
It features a handy digital display to read and adjust humidity levels, as well as settings for continuous drainage, turbo boost, comfort mode, and a timer setting.
The turbo mode increases fan speed from normal 165 CFM (cubic feet per minute) to high CFM 188 for rapid moisture removal.
The unit must be maintained by cleaning the filter every 30 days. Customers rated this machine highly for its ease of use and effective moisture removal.
- Built-in wheels and handles.
- 24-hour continuous cycle available – if using a tank, the auto-shut-off feature will turn it off.
- Removes up to 50 pints of moisture a day.
- Rated “Most Efficient” by Energy Star in 2023.
- Has a defrost setting, timer and settings to adjust humidity levels.
- Drain hose outlet not included, the manufacturer recommends a ⅝” diameter garden hose with an internal threaded end and Teflon tape for extra security.
- Energy Star Rating: Most Efficient (2023)
- Moisture Removal Rate: 50 pints per day
- Drain Options: 1.6 gallon tank (drain hose outlet available, but a drain hose is not included)
- Square Foot Coverage: 4,500 sq ft
- Noise: Does not say
- Wattage: 322W
- Portable vs. Permanent: Portable
- Tank size: 1.6-gallon tank
- Size: 15.4” W x 11” D x 24.3” H
- Cold Weather Tolerance: Does not say
Whole Home or Commercial: Aprilaire E100 Pro 100 Pint Dehumidifier
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE – Reduces & controls basement & whole home humidity to help prevent damp carpeting and furnishings, mold, mildew, and odors, and mold, termites, structural wood rot, and odors in a…
- SET AND FORGET – Smart sensing technology automatically starts dehumidification when humidity above target is sensed
- ENERGY EFFICIENT – Energy Star Most Efficient Certified Dehumidifier removes up to 100 PPD of moisture using less energy, reducing the impact on your energy bill and the environment
This dehumidifier was worth including in this list for those looking for a dehumidifier capable of removing up to 100 pints of moisture daily and in very large settings, such as large homes or commercial spaces up to 5,500 sq ft.
Its “Set and Forget” function features smart sensing technology, which automatically starts dehumidification when humidity above the target is detected.
While castor wheels are available, this machine is designed to be left in one place. Therefore, it’s best to install it having considered your needs for your space, and if you have an HVAC system, you can even add it onto that for ultimate temperature and humidity control.
Although expensive, it is highly rated amongst customers who have purchased it for various uses, including basements, crawlspaces, and attics.
- Extracts up to 100 pints of moisture a day.
- Capable of working in very large spaces up to 5,500 sq ft.
- Can connect to existing HVAC systems.
- Includes drain connection and inlet/outlet collars.
- Simple to set up by attaching the dehumidifier ductwork, which allows for continuous drainage and there is no tank to empty.
- At 64 lbs (or 29kg), this is a very heavy machine. It has an option to include castor wheels to help maneuver it into position, but unlike other machines this is not as portable as it requires installing ductwork or connection to an existing HVAC system.
- An expensive option.
- Energy Star Rating: Most Efficient (2022)
- Moisture Removal Rate: 100 pints per day
- Drain Options: Ductwork
- Square Foot Coverage: 5,500 sq ft
- Noise: Does not say
- Wattage: Does not say
- Portable vs. Permanent: Permanent, but can be moved on castor wheels (option available)
- Tank size: No tank.
- Size: 26.0″ L x 14.0″ W x 15.0″ H
- Cold Weather Tolerance: Temperature protection settings are available via Outdoor Temperature Sensor (noted in product manual)
How to Choose the Best Garage Dehumidifier
When choosing the best dehumidifier for you and your garage, consider some of the following points in your search.
Energy Star Rating
The Energy Star Rating indicates the dehumidifier’s energy efficiency, helping to save on electricity costs. Look for dehumidifiers with an Energy Star Rating to help save you money while it is in operation.
Moisture Removal Rate
Check the moisture removal rate, measured in pints per day (PPD), to ensure it will work with your garage size and humidity.
Consider the drain options available, such as manual emptying via a tank or whether there is a direct hose for continuous draining/installation into existing HVAC systems.
Square Foot Coverage
Measure the square footage of your garage and choose a dehumidifier that can handle that area effectively.
Consider the noise level of the dehumidifier, especially if you plan to spend time in the garage while it’s running.
Check the power consumption of the dehumidifier to ensure it aligns with your energy capacity, as you don’t want to overload your circuit accidentally!
Portable vs. Permanent
Decide whether you need a portable dehumidifier that can be moved around or a permanent one fixed in a specific location, such as the Aprilaire E100.
Consider the unit’s physical dimensions to ensure it fits well in your garage without causing obstructions.
Related: How to Organize a Shed
Cold Weather Tolerance
For colder climates, ensure the dehumidifier has cold weather tolerance, as coils freezing during winter can affect its performance. Also, check to see if the dehumidifier has a defrost setting, which can help performance.
Product Comparison Chart
Your garage can become humid due to various factors, such as a lack of proper ventilation, poor insulation, and water leaks. If you frequently use water-related equipment for washing cars, this can also contribute to higher humidity levels.
A garage dehumidifier pulls in humid air and passes it over cold coils.
The moisture in the air condenses on these coils, turning into water droplets, which the dehumidifier collects in a water tank or drains through a hose.
The dehumidifier then releases dry, moisture-free air into the garage (Source: How Stuff Works).
Place the dehumidifier in a central location in the garage to ensure even air circulation and efficient moisture removal. Avoid placing it near walls or obstructions that might obstruct airflow.
If there are specific areas with higher humidity, like corners or near water sources, you can place the dehumidifier closer to these areas to help dry them out.
If you notice consistently high humidity, it’s best to run the dehumidifier continuously or set it to a timer that aligns with when you use the garage the most.
Or you can run it for a few hours each day or as needed to maintain a comfortable humidity level.
Monitoring the humidity levels using a hygrometer can help you decide when to run the dehumidifier.
Final Thoughts on Garage Dehumidifiers
Garage dehumidifiers play a crucial role in maintaining a dry and comfortable environment.
Investing in a good quality garage dehumidifier can markedly improve a garage’s overall condition, protect your possessions, and contribute to a healthier and more comfortable environment.
By reducing excess humidity, dehumidifiers can help prevent issues like mold growth, corrosion of metal items, and damage to belongings.