How to Clean a Clear Phone Case
A clear phone case is great — it protects without compromising the natural beauty of your phone. The problem with these clear cases is that no matter which brand you buy it seems that they eventually take on a certain yellow tone. Here’s how to clean a clear phone case so you can get that crystal-clear look without having to buy a new case.
Why do clear cases turn yellow?
Clear phone cases turn yellow over time because the plastic or silicone they’re made of carries a yellow tint. The companies that make these cases try to offset that by adding drops of a blue tint to get that perfectly clear look everyone wants. But as the cases age, it brings out the yellow color in the materials.
The sun and the natural oils on your skin speed up this process, making your clear phone case look more yellow over time. Hard plastic cases won’t yellow as much as their softer, silicone counterparts, but any clear case is subject to yellowing with time (Source: How to Geek).
How to Clean a Clear Phone Case
Wash a Clear Phone Case with Dish Soap
- Fill a small container with warm water.
- Add a little bit of dish soap or a zero-waste alternative.
- Place the phone case in soapy water and scrub clean with a toothbrush or dish brush.
- Rinse and dry.
Use Baking Soda to Clean a Clear Phone Case
- Sprinkle baking soda all over the case, paying special attention to any particularly yellow spots.
- Add a little bit of water to a toothbrush or a dish brush and scrub.
- Make sure not to add too much water, so the baking soda forms a thick paste. Continue to scrub until the yellow is gone.
- Thoroughly rinse the paste and dry.
Clean a Clear Phone Case with White Vinegar
- Add 1 cup of white vinegar to a small container
- Put the phone case into the container. You may have to place a small object on top to keep the case from floating.
- Soak the phone case for at least 30 minutes, or leave it soaking for up to several hours
- Rinse off the vinegar and dry with a cloth.
Remove Scuffs from a Clear Phone Case with an Eraser
- Take a Magic Eraser, the kind you normally would use on walls, and scrub all over the phone case.
- The eraser will remove scuffs or unwanted marks.
Disinfect Your Phone Case with Rubbing Alcohol
- For this method, do not soak the case in rubbing alcohol. Rubbing alcohol can damage silicone so it’s important to be careful not to over-apply.
- Put a small amount of rubbing alcohol on a microfiber cloth or an old t-shirt and rub gently all over the case to clean and disinfect.
- No need to rinse it, just let it dry before putting the case back on your phone.
Brighten a Clear Phone Case with Hydrogen Peroxide
- Fill a small container with water and add ½ cup hydrogen peroxide.
- Place the phone case in the solution, making sure it is fully submerged.
- Soak for several hours until the phone case is fully brightened. Like rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide will disinfect your phone as it cleans.
How to Prevent a Clear Phone Case from Yellowing
There are a few things you can do to prevent your phone case from ever turning yellow.
If you want your case to stay clear for longer, the first and the best thing you can do is clean it regularly. Once or twice a week make sure to take off your phone case and give it a good clean using one of the methods listed above.
It’s also important to make sure that you keep your clear phone case cool. Avoid leaving it out in the sun, or putting it too close to the stove. The heat causes the silicone to degrade much more quickly, which is what causes the yellowing (Source: SupCase).
You can also try to reduce the oils that come in contact with your phone case. There are natural oils on our skin that cause silicone to degrade. Try talking on the phone using speakerphone or headphones to avoid contact with the oils on your face. (This is also a great way to keep your skin clear and healthy!).
How Often Should You Clean Your Phone Case?
It’s best to clean your phone case at least once a week. Our phones go with us everywhere, picking up dirt, grime, and germs along the way. Not only will regular cleanings keep your phone case looking great, but they will keep you healthy too.
When is it Time to Replace Your Phone Case?
Ideally, you should replace your phone case every three to four years. This depends on the quality of the case, though. For some of the cheaper, trendier options you will likely have to replace it sooner as the case is more likely to be damaged (Source: MobileTechAddicts).
Yes, you can. You can soak a clear case in a diluted bleach solution as long as you do so carefully and make sure to wear gloves. It won’t reverse the oxidation, but bleach is a powerful stain fighter if none of these other techniques are doing the trick.
Any clear phone case made of silicone will yellow over time. There are some clear phone cases that are made of TPU, or thermoplastic polyurethane, that won’t yellow with age in the same way.
Cleaning your phone case regularly with soap and water and occasionally disinfecting with alcohol is the way to go here.
Olivia Smith is a freelance writer from the Bay Area who loves to clean as a stress reliever. There is nothing more calming than being in a clean and well-organized space! She’s passionate about eco-friendly cleaning to find healthier cleaning alternatives for both her family and the environment.