If you’ve got a Swiffer, then this article is for you! Swiffer has been around since 2001, helping millions of Americans keep their homes clean more conveniently. The Swiffer WetJet system is a multifunctional 3-in-1 solution combining a mop, bucket, and cleaning solution to help mop those floors quickly and easily.
One Swiffer benefit is that every household using the WetJet system can save over 70 gallons of water per year compared to a traditional mop and bucket setup (Source: Swiffer). However, despite the claimed water savings, the Swiffer mop pads are single-use and only add to our ever-growing waste problem.
Why Switch to Reusable Mop Pads?
Most mop pads are single-use, meaning you must throw them out once you’ve used them. With reusable mop pads, you can reuse them repeatedly, washing them in between uses, of course! This helps to reduce waste sent to landfills, as mop pads are difficult to recycle. If you don’t want to switch from single-use mop pads, TerraCycle has a recycling program for all variants of Swiffer pads.
Best Reusable Swiffer Pads
- Eco Friendly 100% Organic Cotton Multipurpose Flour Sack towels. Towel size 28 x 28 Inches.
- Our commercial grade flout sack towels last longer. Best value for money. Reduces the use of paper towels and saves trees.
- 100% Organic Cotton towels are best used wipe/dry the produces after rinsing, wrap the breads and dinner rolls, cover bread dough, etc.
One great option is to reuse what you have already, especially if those old dish towels were destined for the bin anyway… give ‘em another chance to be useful by relegating them to your Swiffer mop head! Simply wrap the dish towel around the Swiffer base and clip it in place with a pair of stainless steel clips.
- Great for reusing dish towels that you would otherwise throw away
- Completely free, unless you want to buy some ultra-absorbent dish towels
- Reusing existing resources is much better for the environment
- The towel may come loose while mopping, so ensure a snug fit with the clips
- Some dish towels may not be as absorbent, so try a variety of materials to suit your needs (terry cloth is best in my experience)
- Material: Varies
- Machine Washable Up to 150 times. Thick Cotton Mop Refills Fit Sweeper Mop size 10,3 x 4,4”
- Reusable Mop Pads Replace Hundreds of Disposable Wet Pads & Dry Refills
- For All Floor Types. Slide Easy and Work Smoothly Even on Hardwood Floor and Laminate
These VanDuck 100% cotton mop pads are great as they are quick and easy to install due to their elasticated fit. Stretch one over the Swiffer WetJet head and mop away! The elasticated fit means these mop pads won’t come off while mopping. Additionally, these reusable Swiffer mop heads are easy to wash in your laundry machine.
- Much cheaper than buying Swiffer pads outright
- 100% cotton and ultra-absorbent
- Elasticated fit means they don’t come off while mopping
- Fits standard Swiffer Sweeper mop head (Dimensions: 10.3” x 4.4”)
- Easy to wash
- Some customers say that it’s a tight fit, make sure you order the right size for your Swiffer
- Material: 100% cotton.
- Easy to Clean: No more wringing of mop heads or trails of forgotten debris. Our wet and dry mop pads make picking up dirt, dust, and pet hair a cinch.
- Washable: Get multiple cleans out of these reusable mop pads. Simply throw in the washing machine after mopping and they’ll be good as new.
- Dual Clean: Featuring extra-thick microfibers with a looped design, these dry/wet pads can grip and trap stubborn dirt when sweeping and absorb moisture when mopping.
Turbo Mops Floor Mop Pads are more suited to the Swiffer unit due to their compatibility with the various Swiffer models and ease of installation around the Swiffer head. These mop pads have velcro fastening for easy installation and seamed edging that won’t easily fray in the wash.
Because these mop pads are reusable, you will save up to 6 times the cost of disposable Swiffer pads (not to mention you can avoid unnecessary waste!). They are constructed with extra thick microfibers in a looped design so that they can be used for both sweeping and mopping.
- Velcro fastening for easy installation.
- Seamed edging so it won’t fray as easily in the wash.
- Reusable and up to 6 times cheaper than disposable variants.
- Extra-thick microfibers with a looped design, can be used for both sweeping and mopping.
- Made from microfiber, a man-made material that is a known cause of microplastics in the environment.
- Material: Microfiber
Refilling Your Swiffer WetJet
Instead of replacing the Swiffer WetJet with another plastic cartridge, you can reuse the existing cartridge and refill it with a natural cleaner. Reusing and refilling will help you save money and protect the planet. Plus, natural cleaners are non-toxic, which makes for a far healthier cleaning experience. Check out our article on Swiffer Hacks on how to reuse the existing Swiffer cartridge: Swiffer Hacks – Never Buy Refills Again.
Reusable Swiffer Pad Comparison Chart
Absolutely! All you need is the old Swiffer Wet Pads container (or another plastic box of your choice), some scissors, old dish towels, water, vinegar, and some dish soap. Yup – that’s it!
1. Collect some old dish towels. Cut them up using a sharp pair of scissors into the size that suits your Swiffer (11” x 11” works for most).
2. Collect your ingredients. This simple recipe from Heart Hook Home is fabulous and so easy to remember! All you need is 1 part water, 1 part vinegar, and 2 to 3 drops of dish soap. Simple and easy to scale, right?! Mix all of these in a separate bowl before moving on to Step 3.
3. Put it all in a container ready for use! Use an old container or a Swiffer WetPad box if you still have it. Fold each dish towel into the box, and douse them in the mixture you made in Step 2. Seal it with a reusable bag or the original Swiffer Wet Pad box lid. And that’s it. You’ve just made DIY Swiffer pads!
An eco-friendly alternative to a Swiffer is a Cuban Mop. A Cuban Mop is a simple design of two pieces of round wood dowelled together to form a T-bar, which you then place a dish towel over, and away you go! Our article on this Eco-Friendly Swiffer Alternative is a must-read for anyone wanting to make the mop swap!
With a little prising open the lid, you most certainly can! Here is a complete guide to refilling a Swiffer WetJet.
Why Trust A Clean Bee
Charlotte is a sustainability professional with years of experience using alternatives to single-use cleaning products around her home. She researched this topic by drawing on her experience and reviewing customer feedback across the brands in this article.