I get a lot of joy from experimenting with skincare oils – mostly recipes that I concoct from oils purchased at Whole Foods. For me it started when the coconut oil craze really took off (ironically I no longer use coconut oil for skincare – too thick!) and after a lot of trial and error, I have developed a few favorites.
FACE: rosehip + jojoba oil
- At night I have been using a mixture of 1 part rosehip oil and 2 parts jojoba oil on my face and neck
- I don’t typically use this for daytime (application is a little too thick) but a dab on cheek bones and temples to create a “dewy glow” is sometimes nice
- If you have a hard time finding jojoba oil I have read that argan oil can be used as a substitute
ACNE: tea tree oil
- Pimples don’t stand a chance against this stuff! I put a drop or two on a q-tip and apply to my breakouts
- If it’s a bad breakout then at night I’ll create a paste out of baking soda and water and let that sit on affected areas until fully dry (or overnight) and THEN apply tea tree oil
BODY: avocado oil (or grapeseed oil)
- For a long time I used coconut oil as body moisturizer but I quickly grew tired of it sitting on top of my skin, never fully rubbing in – avocado and grapeseed oil are a lighter application
- When the weather is dry I will also use avocado oil on my face at night – I’m convinced that I wake up with fewer wrinkles each time!
If you’re interested in more oil recipes I recommend that you check out Crunchy Betty’s post about simple homemade 3 ingredient facial oil moisturizers. There are so many combinations to try!
Like what you see?
Subscribe and receive a PDF copy of my daily cleaning checklist + weekly tips on how to live a cleaner life!